4/21 Strawberry

We had a flat of strawberries and pureed 3-4 baskets to make 2 and 1/3 cups of strawberry puree. The large batch tea was very strong as we used more oolong to brew that batch. We used 1/3 cup of strawberry and 1 tablespoon sugar to make 14 bottles of kombucha

The medium batch was strong teawise as well. We used 1/2 tablespoon of sugar to make 8 bottles.

Strawberry was pulled after 2 days and was perfect – slow eruption and not explosive.

4/13 Greyhound (Ruby Grapefruit)

The large batch was strong we used 1/3 cup juiced grapefruit and 1 tablespoon of sugar. We made 14 bottles of greyhound.

The medium batch was very strong so we did 1/2 tablespoon to make 8 bottles.

We pulled the grapefruit at 2 days and it was perfect, not explosive but a good fizz. Pulled the plain at 2 weeks.

4/5 Mango-Lime

The large batch was a little sweet and a little on the weak side. We pureed 2 pounds of mangos w 2 limes and used a 1/4 cup of the puree with 1 Tbspn of sugar. We made 13 bottles.

The medium batch was just right and we used 1/2 Tbspn sugar per bottle and made 8 bottles.

We pulled the mango lime at 2 days and it did not explode and it a good amount of fizz.

3/28 Cara Cara Orange

The large batch was very strong, just stirring made a lot of foam. We used 13 Cara Cara oranges juiced and used 1/3 cup, 1 Tbsp sugar to each bottle.

We made 15 bottles.

The medium batch was not as strong but had good fizz as well. We made 8 bottles and used 1/2 Tbspn sugar.

We pulled the Cara cara orange at 3 days and it was just right. Barely perceptible pop but perfect fizz.

House Sourdough Recipes

Our recipe for our House Sourdough has evolved and is soon to be scaled. Here is what we’ve been doing…

  • 800g flour (600 white, 200 wheat)
  • 320g starter (fed 14-18 hours prior)
  • 405g water
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • 1 tbsp sugar

The long feeding time is our secret to making it sour as well as our extended proofing. We’ve been doing 3 one hour proofs/punch-downs, shaping and doing a final proof for 2-3 hours. By now it’s risen about all it can but man is it sour! We’ve been making boules (rounds) and we have a new oblong proofing basket for artisan loaves. However today I’m going to try to do it all in the bread machine! I’m scaling down the recipe to the following…

  • 500g flour (375 white, 125 wheat)
  • 200g starter
  • 260g water
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp sugar

I’ll do two 1.5-hour proofs and a final one for 2 hours and bake it for 1hr 10 minutes, putting the water, flour, salt, sugar and starter in the bread machine (in that order) and doing a 30 minute preheat.

3/20 Pink Greyhound ( ruby grapefruit)

The large batch kombucha was perfect. We juiced 9 large ruby red grapefruit and used a 1/3 cup per bottle with 1 tablespoon sugar. We made 15 bottles.

We pulled at 3 days and it was perfect. No pop but was fizzy and just enough sweetness.

The medium batch was also perfect we made 7 1/2 bottles and used 1/2 tablespoon of sugar.

3/12 Cherry-vanilla

The large batch was on sweet side not very vinegary and had good fizz. We took tart cherry juice 32 ounces and mixed in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Poured a 1/3 cup per bottle with 1/2 tablespoon of sugar. We made 12 bottles.

The plain batch was a little stronger so we used 1/2 tablespoon of sugar and made 10 bottles.

We pulled the cherry at 5 and half days. It had good fizz but could have used more vanilla.

3/4 Cara Cara Buch

Found nice big Cara cara oranges at the market to make this weeks large batch buch! We added 1/3 cup of Cara cara orange juice per bottle and a tablespoon of sugar. We made 15 bottles.

We pulled the Cara Cara at 5 days and it was highly explosive. Greg said all fruit should be pulled at 3 days. Will pull first one at 3 days to test. Previous Cara Cara blogs said we pulled ‘at least a week’ and was not explosive and another said anywhere from 5-7 days. This maybe due to sugar content – in the ‘at least a week’ only a teaspoon of sugar was used, in the ‘5-7 days’ batch we used 2 teaspoons of sugar. Greg has temperature app will start checking and logging temperature as well.

Plane batch we made 7 bottles and added 1/2 tablespoon of sugar.

2/24, ‘Rindon-berries’ (Blackberry and Raspberry)

Our neighbor Rindon brought over frozen pureed blackberries and raspberries that he strained to removed the seeds. We used this to flavor the large batch 1/3 cup of blackberry (or raspberry) plus a tablespoon of sugar. We made 8 bottles of raspberry and 7 bottles of blackberry.

We pulled the raspberry and blackberry after two days. Was not explosive, the raspberry had enough fizz and was delicious, however, the blackberry was flat but tasted really excellent.

The medium batch was also strong so we used 1/2 tablespoon to each bottle. We made 8 bottles.

2/16, Raspberry

The large batch tasted just right and was very good. We took the large batch and added 1/3 cup pureed raspberries and 1 Tbspn of sugar. This is the first time we are using frozen raspberries. We made 14 bottles.

The medium batch was strong and vinegary so we used 1/2 Tbspn of sugar and we made 8 bottles.