10/08/20, Passionfish

We let the 1st fermentations go to 9 days (instead of the usual 8) as after testing it the large seemed weak. The extra day helped and it could’ve gone even another day.

We used the large batch to make the passionfruit. I scooped out over 100 passionfruit to make this passion fruit batch. I added 3 squirts of sugar water – maybe too much as it was already sweet. For first time I left the seed in adding 1/4 cup and 1/2 Tbsp sugar per bottle. We were able to make 10 bottles.

With the remaining kombucha we made plain adding 1 tsp sugar making 11 bottles.

The passionfruit was pulled at 3 days and it was a tad explosive but manageable.

11/2/19, Pineapple Express

We let the medium and large batch go 9 days instead of the usual 8 days and they were strong – maybe too strong.

We used the medium batch was so strong, vinegary. We pureed 2 pounds of pineapple and added 1 cup coconut water. We made 9 bottles adding 1/2 Tbsp sugar. Will pull at a day and half – hopefully the vinegar doesn’t kill it.

The large batch was very strong but less vinegary than the medium batch. We used 1 Tbsp sugar and made 14 bottles.

We pulled the bottles at 2 1/2 days and it had a slight pop, no explosions and tasted good.

10/16/19, Rindonberry

The large batch was good and strong but not too much. We used 1/3 cup of Rindonberry (mixture of blueberry, blackberry) with 1 Tbsp sugar and made 14 bottles.

The medium batch was very strong but good. We made 9 bottles with 2 tsp of sugar.

Pulled the Rindonberry at 2 days. Did not pop had a little bit of fizz and was slo-mo eruption. Probably could’ve been out for at least 1./2 day longer but didn’t want to risk it.

9/29 Strawberry and Passion Fruit

From our awesome neighbor Rindon…

\

And from our own liliko’i vine …

We just got 3 bottles of passion fruit and used the rest of the big batch for strawberry. We used 1/3 cup of strawberry puree and 1/2 tbsp of sugar and 1/4 cup of passion fruit puree (de-seeded) with 1 tbsp sugar. This batch went 10 days and the passion fruit was young and tart so we used extra sugar everywhere. The plain even got a 1/2 tbsp this week. I built a pressure tester to try to help with the strawberry fermentation. It seems that 2 days isn’t enough and 3 days is too much. After 3 days the entire bottle ends up all over you kitchen ceiling and walls (not kidding!, just the the strawberry!, well, especially the strawberry). The passion fruit will probably take 5-7 days on the shelf to get fizzy.

I’ll try to update this post. Between the liliko’i and the pressure tester, we’re curious how it will turn out.

9/19 Tangerine Dream on steroids

We’ve been busy baking so we let this batch go a full 10 days in fermentation. It’s strong! We flavored the big batch with 1/3 cup of tangerine juice (pasteurized store-bought) and 1 full tbsp of sugar since there wasn’t much sugar left in the buch. For the plain we used 1/2 tbsp of sugar.

9/9 Arnold Palmer

This week we flavored the big batch with 1/4 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice sweetened with sugar syrup (about 2 3/4 cups lemon juice with 8 pumps syrup) plus 1 tbsp of sugar. We are thinking this may be more like ice tea with lemon and that we could have used more lemon but we’ll see. Not sure how long the second fermentation should be. We’ll probably try one in about 5 days.