So, this New Hope tea is still different, it seems lighter and does not have the finish of the OG. It’s seems lighter and ferments quicker than OG tea. I cut down 1st fermentation next week to 7 days (instead of 8). The second fermentation we have been moving at about 16-17 days instead of 18. Will change that to 15 (possibly 14 days).
Today we bottle 19 bottles with 1 tsp sugar. The medium batch was on the strong side but the large batch was weak and sweet.
We are down to the last 3 oz of the OG oolong and we bottled 19 plain w 1 tsp sugar. Both the medium and large batches were just right.
I found a new roasted oolong from Taiwan which maybe the OG tea or at least same region and similar roasts – FINGERS CROSSED!!! We brewed batch of the 4 seasons and put scobies in holding pattern. The Rishi which arrived 7/21/21 was brewed (from a saved scobie and starter in fridge) and medium batch was made 7/22/21.
Got lazy and uncreative so went with the standby as it’s the most popular.
Also, in this batch we ran out of the David’s Tea Tie Guan Yin and went with Four Season Oolong (not a Tie Guan Yin but roasted) in the medium batch. It was sour and light and after first fermentation did not taste like our usual OG. Sigh. We did 8 bottles of the 4 seasons w teaspoon sugar – was also vinegary. We made12 bottles from large w 1 tsp sugar from large batch which was just right.
We continue on the search for a replacement tea. Found a Canadian brand and ordered 4 samples of 4 different roasts of Tie Guan yin…fingers crossed…