12/30, Tangerine dream

We did another batch of tangerine dream w store bought tangerine juice as the citrus at the market was kinda small. Am hoping for some Cara Cara oranges soon. The grapefruit from the other week was not as sweet but still turned out. From the large batch we did 1/3 cup of tangerine juice, 1 tablespoon of sugar as the batch was not very sweet.

The medium batch we did plain w 1/2 tablespoon of sugar as that was not very sweet either.

12/21, Grape Ape

It’s been a while since we have done a grape ape using 100% organic concord grape juice.  The large batch was little weakish so we are going to have to go with a longer second fermentation.  We used 1/3 cup of grape juice and 1/2 tablespoon of sugar.  

The medium batch was perfect we used 1/2 tablespoon of sugar (but not too full).  Was torn between a teaspoon of sugar and 1/2 tablespoon, would like one in between.

12/13, Greyhound(grapefruit)

This batch of kombucha additional tea was added to the first fermentation and tasted really good. 

Found some nice grapefruit at the market. The large batch we made 15 bottles with 1/3 cup grapefruit juice, 1 tablespoon of sugar. 

With the medium batch we made 9 bottles of plain with 1/2 tablespoon of sugar.  

We pulled the grapefruit at 5 days which is normally fine but the new narrow bottle was explosive.  The old bottles had a healthy pop.  Greg thought it could be sweeter as it was very dry.

12/5, Tangerine Dream

This batch of kombucha was weak but better than the 11/27 batch.  We could taste the oolong tea this time and that odd lemon taste was gone.  The medium batch was a bit stronger but still weak.

From the large batch we made 13 bottles of tangerine dream with 1/3 cup of tangerine juice and 1/2 Tablespoon of sugar.  The medium batch we made 8 bottles adding 1 teaspoon of sugar.

We removed the tangerine 5 days later.

11/27 Orange kombucha

This batch of kombucha tea lacked the oolong flavor, was sour and almost lemon like in flavor.  We are not sure if it was the tea is different (it smells different – more grassy) or human error.  Both the large and medium batch that was brewed last week tasted watery with a lemon flavor.  We could not taste the usual nutty oolong tea.

From the large batch, we made 8 bottles of orange kombucha using 1/3 cup of orange juice and 1 tablespoon of sugar.  We made 4 bottles of rootbeer kombucha as well, using an organic rootbeer syrup Two bottles contained 4 tablespoons of syrup and 1/2 tablespoon sugar (old caps) and two bottles contained 5 tablespoons of syrup and 1/2 tablespoon sugar (new caps).

 

 

The medium batch also tasted off but we made 8 bottles with 1/2 tablespoon of sugar and will see how this turns out.

Update:  We pulled the orange after 5 days.  It has that odd lemony flavor but works okay with the orange – still not up to usual quality.  The rootbeer was gross and we dumped it.  That will not happen again.

 

11/19 Apple Pie Kombucha

We still have dozens of apples so we made more apple pie this week. The tea for next weeks batch will be strong and next week we’ll use less (adjusted in “How we do it”). So we used 1/3 cup of apple-cinnamon-lemon puree with 1 tbsp sugar for the apple and 1 tsp of sugar for the plain.

The apple pie was pulled at 6 days which was about right.  The lemon cut the sweetness.  The plain was pulled and refrigerated on 12/5.  We tried to pull them earlier but they were too sweet.  So 16 days is about right for the plain.